London (September 11, 2008)–DiGiCo has announced the latest addition to its emerging SD series of consoles, the SD8. The manufacturer is introducing it as an entry-level desk that provides all the major features of its predecessors due to a fixed architecture and a smaller Super FPGA than the SD7.
The SD8 incorporates Stealth Digital Processing, based on the single Super FPGA and combined with Analog Devices’ Tiger SHARCS, to create the Tiger SHARC FX engine. The company’s aim is for this to provide audio quality, precision and processing power with a range of built-in effects, reverbs, dynamics, output matrix and more.
The SD8’s control surface has 37 motorized faders, dedicated and multi-function control knobs and electronic labelling, as well as a 15″, super high resolution, touch-sensitive, TFT LCD backlit display. The display is considered to be the SD8’s primary command center, working with every other control of the console, automatically displaying functions that are relevant to what is being done at any moment in time. A physical fader, knob or backlit, electronically labelled button is either provided as standard for every major mix function, or can be programmed on to one of the user macro buttons.
The SD8 has 24 main channel faders and 12 assignable aux and touch sensitive master faders. Each bank of 12 faders can be instantly assigned as channels or masters, allowing all 36 main faders to control inputs if desired, while any bank of 12 can be assigned to the touch screen for fine-tuning. The SD8 provides, as standard, a 12 x 12 output matrix, its 12 busses being additional to the console’s 24 stereo, solo and master busses.
According to DiGiCo, the 60 mono or stereo channels–the equivalent of 120 channels of full DSP processing–and the combined power of the SD8’s technologies mean that the number and quality of effects, dynamics or other functions will available to all channels simultaneously, no matter how the console is set up.
The desk also includes longtime DiGiCo features such as snapshots, as well as newer offerings, such as high-resolution, 20-LED bargraph meters, right beside each channel fader.
• 48/8 Stage Rack with 100m Digital MADI snake
• Unlimited application areas
• Up to 60 mono or stereo channels with full processing (equal to 120 channels of DSP processing)
• 24 mono or stereo busses + Stereo Master with full processing (equal to 50 busses of DSP processing)
• 12×12 matrix with full output processing
• On Board local I/O with 8 Mic/Line inputs, 8 Line Outputs and 8 AES I/O
• Open format & platform recording
• 6 stereo floating point FX processors
• 2 independent solo busses for monitoring
• Snapshot cue control with crossfade
• 37 touch-sensitive faders
• Touch screen control
• Full worksurface precision metering
• Networking and remote control
• Floating point processing
• Future proofed FPGA audio core
• Remote studio grade mic pres
• MADI connection
• USB compatible for session saving & transfer
• Offine and online session control
• DiGiCo high-grade processing and audio path