Burbank, CA (August 13, 2004)–Members of the Black Eyed Peas and their crew, who were working in Studio A at Glenwood Place Studios in Burbank helped contain a serious fire in the early morning of Aug. 11.
Firemen on the scene said that the effort by studio staff and the Peas, using numerous fire extinguishers to fight the advancing fire, contributed to containing the damage, and saving the building. The fire appears to have been caused by a candle that ignited a sound-absorbing gobo while the clients were on a meal break.
The Studio A tracking room sustained substantial interior damage before the fire was ultimately extinguished by the Burbank Fire Dept. The control room, SSL 9000 console, artist lounge, and Studios B & C were undamaged. The studio’s Steinway piano and 2 guitars belonging to the artists were lost. The clean-up of all adjacent spaces commenced by 9am in the morning and is virtually complete. Sessions in Studios B and C began without incident as scheduled.
“Thank goodness for the exceptional effort of our staff, and our clients, in jumping in to fight this serious fire,” said Hank Neuberger, EVP of Glenwood Place Studios. “Without their quick and smart response, this incident could have had much more tragic results. No one was hurt, the Control Room of Studio A should be ready for sessions within days, and the rebuilding of the tracking room will begin immediately.”
“Miraculously, after a very long day,” reported studio manager Kit Rebhun, “it looks like we can return to hosting the recording artists who have come to love Glenwood.” Recent clients include Wynton Marsalis, Beck, Christina Aguilera, Toni Braxton, Van Halen, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Mike Shipley, Ed Cherney, Phil Ramone, etc.
Added Neuberger, “Fire Extinguishers are your friends. Keep them close by.”
Glenwood Place Studios