New York, NY (June 15, 2005)–Entries to the third annual “Alex” Awards for Excellence in Entertainment Packaging Awards are due July 1. The awards were created three years ago in honor of Alex Steinweiss, the creator of the first album cover in 1939 for Columbia Records, by CMP Information, Inc. (CMPi) and the International Recording Media Association (IRMA). The winners will be named at a ceremony on August 31 at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, as part of the Entertainment Media Expo (EMX).
Submissions will be judged by panels of entertainment and media packaging industry art directors and designers in New York and Los Angeles.
Individuals and companies will be honored for outstanding achievement in the following categories:
* Best Design, Standard CD package, illustrated cover
* Best Design, Standard CD package, photo cover
* Best Design, Alternative (non jewel-case) CD package
* Best Design, Standard CD package, jazz
* Best Design, Standard CD package, classical
* Best CD Boxed Set, Overall Design
* Best DVD Package, single disc
* Best DVD Package, multi-disc
* Best VHS Package, single tape
* Best VHS Package, boxed set
* Best CD or DVD Disc Decoration, replicated disc
* Best CD or DVD Disc Decoration, duplicated disc
* Best Promotional CD or DVD, marketing
* Best Promotional CD or DVD, music/movie trade
* Best Entertainment Retail Marketing Materials
* Best Entertainment Software Package
* Best Vinyl Package
This year’s competition includes several new categories. They include best disc decoration for duplicated optical discs; best design in both the jazz and classical music genres; and separate promotional CD/DVD awards for marketers and music/movie trade.
“The print quality of a duplicated disc is often indistinguishable from a replicated disc,” stated Medialine editor and EMX Conference chairman Larry Jaffee, who oversees the “Alex” Awards. “We realized that the pop genre gets all the attention in the music industry, but great design work in jazz and classical was getting overlooked. In addition, we felt that the promotional category needed to be separated because marketers’ aims are different from those of record companies and movie studios.”
To qualify for this year’s “Alex” Awards, titles must be new releases or reissued back-catalog releases that have been released between June 14, 2004 and July 1, 2005. European and other international entries are welcome, but they still must be a prerecorded media entertainment package (new release or reissue of a CD, DVD released to retail), or, in the case of the promotional category, a package that had already been distributed to its intended recipients. Prototype packages are not eligible.
All materials must be received by Friday, July 1, 2005 at CMP Information, 460 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10016, Attention: Larry Jaffee.
A downloadable submission form may be obtained at:
For more information about the third annual “Alex” Awards, contact Larry Jaffee at [email protected] or by calling 212-378-0417.
Entertainment Media Expo