New York (April 8, 2009)–Midas has released a new, free 1.10 software update to its flagship XL8 digital console, adding numerous features, including showfile cross-compatibility between the desk and its brethren, the Pro6.
“Midas has always listened to both users and owners of our mixing consoles, and used this feedback to create the worlds’ most successful and best-loved mixing systems,” said brand development manager Richard Ferriday. “The advent of digital technology has not changed this approach; rather, software-based systems allow us to add new features and additional functionality to our products retrospectively, responding directly to customer demands. This is most visible in the XL8’s new, theatre-centric automation package and new effects options.”
The software update includes:
• System updater: simple software updating from USB key
• Showfile cross-compatibility: any show created on a Midas Pro6 system can be loaded into an XL8 and vice versa, subject to system capacity limitations
• MC (Master Control Computer) redundancy: standby dual-redundant control computer automatically updates and tracks active control computer
• Theater-biased advanced automation features, including “many operational improvements and additional functions”
• Additional user options added to Console Preferences to improve user customization efforts.
• User presets for automatic latency management system
• Show editor: Copy-and-paste real-time parameter edits to any scene(s) in the show
• Improved and augmented console and network diagnostics display; operator informed immediately of any software, connectivity or hardware issues. Remote monitoring of critical hardware values (temperature, voltage, connection errors, etc).
• Cat5 Tie lines – connect multiple Midas (and third party generic AES50) digital systems together with up to 100m Cat5 cables; route and share audio between networks
• Mix and match I/O devices. DL351, DL451, DL431 in any combination at FOH and onstage. Allows use of Pro6 I/O hardware with XL8s and vice versa.
• New User Library system: creates individual presets of FX processors, EQs, compressors, etc, which can be stored and recalled independently of show files
• Stereo, LCR, LCRS, quadraphonic and 5.1 surround panning
•Four new FX processors: Stereo pitch shifter with delay; Klark Teknik SQ1 multi-channel dynamics processor; Multi-band frequency-dependant stereo compressor; New stereo delay unit with analogue and digital modelling
The software upgrade reportedly also includes operational and functional improvements, including per-send recall scopeability to disable automation on an individual channel’s aux or matrix mix on a send-by send basis; and the send copy function which allows the individual channel contributions to be copied into one aux or matrix mix from another.