Santa Monica, CA (July 20, 2005)–POP Sound’s Peter Rincon has mixed an ambitious, music and sound driven campaign for Hyundai’s Sonata that positions the car as “a Hyundai like you’ve never seen before.” Conceived by The Richards Group, the dynamic, visually and aurally stimulating package includes three 30-second television spots and a 60-second cinema spot, posted in HD with a 5.1 surround sound soundtrack.
The four spots constitute the “most expensive product launch in Hyundai’s history.” Titled Extra Mile, the cinema spot shows a group of Sonatas driving through an austere landscape as the voice-over compares the sedan to other cars in its class. The Richards Group creative team included Art Director Terence Reynolds, Copywriter Mike Duckworth and Producer Jeb Schary.
For the mix, Rincon blended the voice-over track with original music supplied by Primal Scream and sound design created by Machine Head’s Stephen Dewey. Rincon also prepared additional sound design elements. “The music was wonderful,” said Rincon. “The challenge was to combine it with the sound design and voice-over in a way that maintained the integrity of all three elements and didn’t feel crowded.”
Each of the spots features a different music track. “The music is very eclectic-and hats off to the agency for making that choice. It was very daring,” Rincon observed. “The music was unexpected…it was more emotionally driven than the standard ‘techno, driving, industrial groove’ that appears in many car ads.”
The sound design included realistic elements, created by Dewey, and more abstract elements created by Rincon. “We rode a middle ground between realism and a more emotional treatment,” he said. “In the final track, about 80 percent of the sound is realistic, with the other 20 percent there to give it the drama.”
For the cinema spot, Rincon took full advantage of the 5.1 environment. “We had a lot of fun, spreading the sound around the room,” he recalled. “The music is awesome. I dropped the voice-over in the left and right speakers, rather than panning it down the center-the traditional technique-to give it the same weight as the music. I also wanted to make the voice-over a kind of phantom presence in the room. ”