Los Angeles, CA (February 11, 2013)—Multi-talented artists were the big winners at the 55th annual Grammy Awards, with Gotye, Dan Auerbach and Skrillex all being recognized for their technical chops as well as their musical creativity.
Gotye, otherwise known as Wally De Backer, picked up a top award, Record of the Year, for the ubiquitous “Somebody That I Used To Know,” which recognized his talents not only as a musician but also as engineer, mixer and producer.
Auerbach, guitarist and vocalist of Akron, OH rock duo The Black Keys, won the prestigious Producer of the Year award, and the band won for Best Rock Album, Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song.
Skrillex, born Sonny John Moore, swept the Dance/Electronica categories and also won for Best Remixed Recording. Bangarang took the Best Dance/Electronica Album honors with the title track winning Best Dance Recording, acknowledging Skrillex as a producer and mixer.
Mumford & Sons’ Babel snagged the award for Album of the Year for the band and for Markus Dravs, producer; Robin Baynton and Ruadhri Cushnan, engineers/mixers; and Bob Ludwig, mastering engineer.
Winners in the production, engineering and remixing categories were as follows:
BEST ENGINEERED ALBUM, NON-CLASSICAL
The Goat Rodeo Sessions
Richard King, engineer; Richard King, mastering engineer (Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile)
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR, NON-CLASSICAL
• El Camino (The Black Keys) (A)
• Locked Down (Dr. John) (A)
• Savage (Hacienda) (S)
• Shakedown (Hacienda) (A)
BEST REMIXED RECORDING, NON-CLASSICAL
“Promises” (Skrillex & Nero Remix)
Skrillex, remixer (Nero)
Joseph Ray, Skrillex and Daniel Stephens, remixers
BEST SURROUND SOUND ALBUM
Jim Anderson, surround mix engineer; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Michael Friedman, surround producer (Patricia Barber)
BEST ENGINEERED ALBUM, CLASSICAL
Life & Breath – Choral Works By René Clausen
Tom Caulfield & John Newton, engineers; Mark Donahue, mastering engineer (Charles Bruffy & Kansas City Chorale)
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR, CLASSICAL
• Chamber Symphonies (Gregory Wolynec & Gateway Chamber Orchestra)
• Davis: Río De Sangre (Joseph Rescigno, Vale Rideout, Ava Pine, John Duykers, Kerry Walsh, Guido LeBron, The Florentine Opera Company & Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra)
• Gjeilo: Northern Lights (Charles Bruffy & Phoenix Chorale)
• In Paradisum (Brian A. Schmidt & South Dakota Chorale)
• Life & Breath – Choral Works By René Clausen (Charles Bruffy & Kansas City Chorale)
• Music For A Time Of War (Carlos Kalmar & The Oregon Symphony)
• Musto: The Inspector (Glen Cortese & Wolf Trap Opera Company)
The Recording Academy