Los Angeles, CA (October 9, 2014)—Live and installed sound have always been an integral part of the annual AES Convention; now they’re even bigger at the show, thanks to this year’s debut of the Live Sound Expo, presented in association with Pro Sound News, Sound & Video Contractor, Pro Audio Review and MIX, at the 137th Audio Engineering Society Convention, starting today at the Los Angeles Convention Center in downtown Los Angeles.
From a stage centrally located in the 137th AES Convention’s exhibition hall, the Live Sound Expo presents live and installed sound professionals sharing their knowledge and experience across a wide range of audio topics.
Engineer and industry journalist Mark Frink (k.d. lang, Zac Brown Band, Tony Bennett) will manage the stage as the LSE host. The panelists and presenters read like a who’s-who in the worlds of live and installed sound:
- Sam Berkow (Principal/Founding Partner, SIA Acoustics)
- Derek Brener (Bruno Mars)
- Chap Cooper (Sound Engineer/Educator)
- Jason Decter (FOH, Blink-182, Weezer)
- J. Mark King (Production & Music Mixer, Primetime EMMY Awards, Dancing with the Stars, ACM & CMA Awards)
- Tom Pesa (Super Bowl, GRAMMYs, OSCARs)
- Dave Rat (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Founder of Rat Sound)
- Marcus Ross (Head of Audio, Blue Man Group)
- Robert Scovill (FOH, Prince, Rush, Tom Petty
- Dave Shadoan (President, Sound Image)
- Jason Spence (Monitor Engineer, Keith Urban, Megadeth, CMT & CMA Awards)
- Ken “Pooch” Van Druten (FOH, Linkin Park)
- Fred Vogler (FOH, L.A. Philharmonic / Systems Engineer, Hollywood Bowl)
- Vic Wagner (FOH Systems Engineer, Linkin Park).
A wide array of topics will be addressed at the Live Sound Expo. Select topics include: “Loudspeaker Setup and Configuration,” “Miking Fundamentals for the Stage,” “Networks and IT,” “The Small Venue Monitor Mix,” “RF Systems,” “Installed Sound,” “Touring System Optimization,” “Digital Consoles” and more. A highlight of Live Sound Expo will be a panel titled “Stump the Panel,” where attendees will be able to ask any question to Dave Rat, Robert Scovill and Dave Shadoan, as they cover the gamut of sound reinforcement topics while imparting entertaining tales from the road.
With the Live Sound Expo, the 137th Convention offers expert advice for the broad spectrum of live and installed sound engineers (some 25 percent of Convention attendees) with an emphasis on the practical, bringing professionals with decades of experience to the stage to inspire and educate attendees.
Michael MacDonald, AES137 co-chair and ATK Audiotek president, stated, “Live sound is a key element in the pro audio industry, and one that warrants the spotlight provided by the new Live Sound Expo. I am pleased that Mark Frink, along with Frank Wells, has assembled such a powerful LSE program that will feature both technical and practical aspects of live sound benefiting attendees and exhibitors alike. The panelists include top professionals from the installed and live sound worlds, and their participation at this AES Convention gives attendees access to a knowledge pool available nowhere else, and provides insights into current and future trends.”
The Live Sound Expo was made possible by the sponsorship of Audinate, DiGiCo, EAW, L-Acoustics, Shure and Yamaha Commercial Audio, with wireless headphone system support from Sennheiser USA.
For Registration and Technical Program information, visit the AES137 webpage at http://www.aes.org/events/137/.
Audio Engineering Society