Here are PSN‘s Top-5 most popular articles of 2021 so far, as ranked by Google Analytics. PSN has merged with Mix over at Mixonline.com; find us there, and also check out the revamped Mix weekday newsletter (get your free subscription at https://bit.ly/3gVh4Gf).
5. From Purge to Perfection: Illangelo on Producing The Weeknd’s After Hours By Keith Nelson. After selling off his studio gear in order to leave the music business, Grammy-winning producer Illangelo returned to the fold, spending a year working on The Weeknd’s hit album After Hours.
4. The Lost Treasure of Joe Meek’s Tea Chest Tapes By Steve Harvey. Legendary UK producer Joe Meek left behind nearly 1,900 tapes when he committed suicide in the 1960s. After sitting in storage for 50-plus years, the ‘lost’ tapes are being digitized in a mammoth 18-month project, saving unheard early work by David Bowie, Ray Davies, Ritchie Blackmore, Marc Bolan, Steve Marriott, Gene Vincent and more.
3. Audacity Acquired By Muse Group By Clive Young. Audacity, the long-running open source, cross-platform audio editor, has been acquired by Muse Group.
2. Pirate Sees Self-Service Studio Market for the Taking By Steve Harvey. Having conquered the UK, Pirate aims to build 4,000 unattended, self-service studios across North America by 2024.
1. Capitol Riot Loots, Damages Live Sound Systems By Clive Young. In January, rioters at the U.S. Capitol stole and vandalized live sound equipment that Maryland Sound International had onsite for the presidential inauguration.