Orange County, CA (October 20, 2014)—Following the early October robbery of OC Recording Studio in Orange County, CA, producer Asaf Fulks spoke to Pro Sound News to retell his story, warn other studio owners to be cautious when working late, and to reassure clients that the studio will not shut down because of the incident.
During the Tuesday, October 7 crime, two employees were stripped and tied up as robbers took off with $40,000 worth of cash and gear. Days after the crime, a still shook-up Fulks recalled the incident, saying, “It could have been a lot worse.”
Fulks described the scene, saying while cleaning up that night, three men came to the studio’s front door claiming they had a session scheduled. The producer said he wasn’t aware of a session, but thought the men might be lost and let them in to make a few phone calls. Fulks continued to clean, and when he went back to the main entrance, he noticed the front door had been closed and the men were putting gloves on.
“That’s when I knew something wasn’t right,” Fulks said. “One man tackled me and tied me up, and they stole basically all of Studio B and C.” Most of the gear stolen from the studio was high-end microphones, guitars, computers, and some rack gear, Fulks said.
While the robbers have not been caught, Fulks remains optimistic. In the meantime, OC Recording Studio will work with its insurance company to replace the stolen gear, and Fulks assures his clients that the studio will be up and functioning again soon. “We really appreciate everyone’s support, and this isn’t going to set us back,” he said. “We’ve been in business for nine years and never had a problem, and we plan to continue being here. This robbery won’t discourage us.”
OC Recording Studio