As I head to St. John for my annual recording retreat, my computer is loaded with an arsenal of toys. Here’s the top five that I simply couldn’t leave at home.
1. Audio Ease Altiverb: Everything sounds better in a good live room, temple or giant church from the 1700s.
2. Universal Audio AMS RMS16 Digital Reverb Plug-in: Snare drums in “non-lin” mode are my new favorite sounds—what’s old is new.
3. Sonnox Oxford Limiter: It's the last thing on my master bus and it never steps on my mix.
4. Eventide H9 Harmonizer Effects Pedal with Bluetooth Control: Ultimate pedal control via my iPhone 6 Plus—software meets hardware.
5. Propellerheads Reason 8: It’s easier to use than previous versions and an endless well of inspiration.
Watch for the May 2015 edition of Pro Sound News for Rich's full report from his third annual recording retreat and the collection of great, travel-ready recording gear they evaluated in real-world, pro-grade audio production applications.