Looking for a new podcast microphone? Here’s five podcast mics under $200 that are brand-new for Spring, 2020. Easy on the eyes, ears and wallet, they can get you started or help raise your audio game.
1. Sontronics has launched Podcast Pro ($149), an end-address dynamic mic for spoken-word use. Available in red and black, it has a supercardioid pickup pattern to reject off-axis sound, and is used via an XLR connection.
2. Mackie has introduced its EM-USB USB Condenser mic ($149.00), which connects directly to a laptop or mobile recording device using USB-C. It has a built-in headphone output with volume control for monitoring, and comes with a mic clip, tripod mount and USB-C cable.
3. Samson will release the Q9U Professional Broadcast Dynamic XLR/USB microphone in Q2 for $199. It uses an XLR output and also has a USB-C connection, a 24-bit/96 kHz A-D converter, has a cardioid pickup pattern and comes with a dual-layer windscreen.
4. AKG’s Lyra USB mic was released in late 2019, but the AKG Podcaster Bundle is new for 2020. For $350, you get the mic, AKG K371 headphones, Ableton Live 10 Lite, a four-part Berklee Online recording class and audio cables. The Lyra itself ($149) has an Adaptive Capsule Array that provides four capture modes and offers 24-bit/192 kHz audio performance and plug-and-play operation.
5. Røde’s new NT-USB Mini ($99) is a compact USB microphone for recording into a computer or tablet. It has a condenser capsule with RF shielding, a directional cardioid pickup pattern, a built-in pop filter and comes with a magnetic desk stand.
Check out Podcast Pro, our free weekly e-newsletter about the production side of podcasting! Packed with insights from the audio pros behind top podcasts, industry news, product info and more, it covers podcasting from mic to market. Sign up at https://t.co/sdb1B0Ewsw