Sixth-annual awards held during the 2018 NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA
Westlake Village, CA – Guitar Center, the world’s largest instrument retailer, is proud to announce that Kristy Porter, Guitar Center Director of Merchandising, has been honored with the prestigious She Rocks Award from The Women’s International Music Network. The sixth-annual awards were held on Friday, January 26, 2018, at the House of Blues in Anaheim, CA – concurrent with The NAMM Show 2018. The awards honor women in leadership within the music industry and pay tribute to their impressive accomplishments. Previous recipients include female industry leaders such as Colbie Caillat, Ronnie Spector and Sheila E. At the awards, Porter was introduced by Michael Amkreutz, Executive Vice President of Merchandising and E-Commerce at Guitar Center.
Porter joined Guitar Center in 2001 as an associate in the Oxnard, CA store and quickly grew within the ranks to the Assistant Store Manager. She learned everything about the gear she was selling and created an exceptional customer service experience for all. In 2005, an open position at the Guitar Center Corporate Offices piqued her interest. Her store work experience, along with being a passionate rock guitarist, provided her with the expertise to become the first female to have a Buyer role in the company’s history. She quickly excelled and was promoted to the Director of Merchandising in 2013, contributing to the success of one of the biggest sales categories for the company. She created GC’s Lifestyle department, which includes Apparel and Gifts, which is now a multimillion-dollar category.
Additionally, Porter serves as a Steering Committee member of GCNOW, Guitar Center’s Network of Women, which celebrates the achievements of women within the company and provides guidance and mentorship for other women to help their career advancements. Porter has always had the passion to work in a music-related industry and is thrilled that her career keeps her surrounded by musicians, music lovers and great gear.
“The music industry is a very unique industry to be in. It’s driven by passionate and creative people, and I’m genuinely grateful to be a part of it,” said Porter. “I love being able to go to work every day and be in a position to help provide the products and tools musicians need to share their music with others.”
The event was co-hosted by Kat Corbett, DJ on KROQ in Los Angeles, where she hosts the midday show and local music show, Locals Only and host for Sirius XM, and Women in Music Network (WiMN) founder, Laura B. Whitmore.
Additional 2018 She Rocks Awards honoree recipients include:
· Pat Benatar, four-time GRAMMY® Award-winning artist
· Melissa Etheridge, GRAMMY Award- and Academy® Award-winning artist
· The B-52s Katie Pierson & Cindy Wilson, original members of one of the most beloved party rock bands of all time
· Karla Redding-Andrews, Executive Director for The Otis Redding Foundation
· Exene Cervenka, vocalist for the iconic punk band, X
· Amberly Crouse-Knox, Senior Director of Creative and Business Development, BMG Production Music
· Jean Millington Adamian, June Millington, Brie Howard Darling, Patti Quatro Ericson and Alice de Buhr of the pioneering all-female American rock band, Fanny
· Candace Stewart, Studio Manager, EastWest Studios in Hollywood
· Dawn Birr, Channel Manager for the Americas, Sennheiser Business Solutions
· Fabi Reyna, Founder and Editor of She Shreds Media
· Vanessa Mering, Marketing Manager, HARMAN Professional
Please visit Sherocksawards.com to find out more about this year’s award honorees, performances and presenters.
Photo caption: Kristy Porter, Guitar Center Director of Merchandising accepts the prestigious She Rocks Award from The Women’s International Music Network on Friday, January 26, 2018, at the House of Blues in Anaheim, CA.